Perry threatened to completely cut his state’s Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program in 2010, only backing off when Texas number-crunchers convinced him that this would essentially destroy the state’s health care system (not to mention leave federal money unspent).
This from a man running a state that is:
- #1 in percent of uninsured children in the U.S.*
- #50 (ie, dead last) in overall health status of children
And whose children are significantly more likely than the U.S. average to:
- Have serious dental problems
- Suffer an injury requiring medical treatment
- Exhibit “problematic social behaviors”
- Have poor access to mental health care
…and so on.